Three fire trucks were on Canvey high street today after a fire broke out in a flat, completely destroying the kitchen.

The fire broke out at around 11:44am after a faulty toaster caught alight, burning the kitchen and causing smoke damage to the living room.

The incident happened in a flat close to the Shape N' Curls hairdressers.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "Firefighters were alerted to a fire in a first floor flat this morning.

"Firefighters isolated the fire to the roof area of the flat, which is situated above a shop, by 12.41pm before using thermal imaging cameras to identify remaining hotspots.

"By 1.20pm, crews had extinguished the fire completely and remained at the scene until around 2pm to ensure there was no risk of reignition."