AN eight-year-old boy has been hailed a hero after his quick-thinking actions saved his dad’s life.

Cool-headed George Valentine rallied to the rescue after he found his diabetic dad unconscious in bed. He immediately realised he had suffered a life-threatening hypoglycaemic fit.

The youngster calmly dialled 999, told the operator in detail about his dad Paul’s dangerous condition and was able to recite the address and phone number of his dad’s home in Potton Drive, Wickford.

Thanks to George, paramedics were on the scene within minutes and gave Paul a life-saving injection to bring his blood glucose levels back up to normal.

Luckily, George had been well prepared for such an event by Paul, who would take him through mock emergency operations and run him through exactly what to do in case he ever fell ill.

The drama unfolded on Sunday morning after George was spending the night over at his dad’s house, Paul, 50, who has just retired as a police officer from the Met, said: “I went to bed feeling fine, but the next thing I woke up and a bunch of paramedics and George were standing around my bed.

“They gave me a shot and I made a quick recovery, but God knows what would have happened if it hadn’t been for George.

“We are so proud of him.

“Because I have type 1 diabetes I had talked to George about what to do if he ever found he couldn’t wake me.

“I’d pretend to be unconscious and say ‘ok, what would you do, what would you say to the police?’ “He obviously was listening, as he did it flawlessly.

“The paramedics said George was able to give them every piece of information they needed and was incredibly calm.”

Paramedics have invited George to visit his local ambulance station as a reward for his courage.

WWE wrestling fan George, who attends Noak Bridge Primary School, said: “I couldn’t wake my dad. I tried not to panic. I knew I had to dial 999 and get some help.”

Mum Sally, 35, who lives with George in Osier Drive, Noak Bridge, added how it proved to be a more dramatic Mother’s Day than expected when she awoke to the news.

“This all happened at 6.45am and I was called by the paramedics to go over to Paul’s house.

“They told me George didn’t cry at all until he saw me. He kept it all in.

“For an adult to see someone they love go through something like this is hard enough, but for an eight-year-old boy it must be so hard.

“Although I didn’t get a Mother’s Day lie-in, this was the best possible present – to know my little boy was so brave and mature and saved his dad’s life.”