BILLERICAY Town claimed a 1-0 win over Leatherhead to remain top of the Isthmian Premier League standings despite playing more than half of the game with 10 men.

Jake Robinson followed up his hat-trick against Didcot Town in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup last time out by notching the only goal of the game after 20 minutes.

And although Paul Konchesky was dismissed for a high tackle on Niall McManus moments before the break, 10 man Billericay were able to hold on against a Leatherhead side that went into the clash in second place in the Isthmian Premier League.

The Tanners enjoyed a promising early spell as they kept possession and forced a handful of corners inside the opening 15 minutes.

The visitors’ best chance fell to Yannis Amblosine, who rose highest to a Leatherhead free kick, but Billericay goalkeeper Alan Julian was equal to the central defender’s tame header.

And that miss from a promising position proved costly, as the home side broke the deadlock less than a minute later.

A long clearance from Julian eventually found Robinson and the in-form striker rounded Leatherhead goalkeeper Zaki Oualah before tapping home.

Sam Deering, who worked tirelessly down the hosts’ left hand side, was the next Billericay man to go close.

But the summer signing, who latched onto a loose ball after Billericay appeals for handball was waved away, saw his low strike saved by Oualah.

On the stroke of half-time, Leatherhead’s confidence grew further as Konchesky was shown a straight red card for a high challenge on McManus.

The dismissal forced Glenn Tamplin into a tactical reshuffle at the interval, as Louie Theophanous and Joe Ellul replaced Billy Bricknell and Adam Cunnington.

Leatherhead piled on the pressure early in the second half, looking to make the most of the numerical advantage.

But the Tanners were struggling to fashion clear-cut opportunities despite enjoying large spells of possession.

Jack Midson was unable to turn his close range effort home, on the turn, following good play from Daniel Gallagher.

And Tamplin reacted by replacing Robinson with Ricky Modeste, who was to make a two-man attack with Theophanous.

As a result of the change in formation, Billericay started to enjoy greater spells on the ball and Rob Swaine came close to heading home a Deering corner.

Minutes later, McManus forced Julian to tip an over-hit cross over the crossbar as Billericay’s defence held firm.

Theophanous and Danny Waldren both had shots blocked following a dangerous free kick, which had been whipped in by Deering.

Deering then went close himself, as he forced Oualah into a fine save down to his right, while Ellul headed over the resulting corner.

Julian kept Billericay’s lead intact as he made a superb stop to deny Tanners player/manager Sammy Moore.

Oualah made a superb save to stop a Waldren free kick that was destined for the corner of the net, before Deering saw a shot blocked in the next attack.

Theophanous then ran at the Leatherhead backline and forced Oualah into a diving save with time running out for the visitors.

And despite playing more than half of the match with 10 men, Billericay were able to hold on and secure an important three points to allow them to remain top of the Isthmian Premier League.

Billericay Town: Julian, Urquhart, Konchesky, Foley, Swaine, Deering, Evans, Waldren, Bricknell (Ellul 45’), Robinson (Modeste 63’), Cunnington (Theophanous 45’)