TEENAGER Sammy Knott said it felt great to get his first senior goal and now hopes it will help him kickstart his football career.

The 16-year-old came up with a deft finish to help Great Wakering to a 6-2 Essex Senior League Cup win over Hullbridge Sports on Tuesday.

Knott, who is on loan at Wakering from Concord Rangers, said it felt good to find the net in the senior ranks.

“I made a diagonal run to get on a ball over the top from Dan Trenkel,” he said.

“The keeper came out and shouted ‘my ball’ but I managed to flick it over his head.

“I thought it was trickling wide and their defender tried to clear it off the line.

“But the linesman gave it and it felt good to get my first goal at this level.”

Knott, who is the younger brother of Sunderland midfielder Billy Knott, played on the left-hand side of a front three for Wakering.

And he says he hopes to get a good season under his belt to improve his chances of breaking into the Concord first team.

“What I need is lots of game time,” he said.

“I think we are going to do well at Wakering this season, so hopefully that will help me get the experience I need.”

Luca Frankis bagged a hat-trick for Wakering, and Trenkel hit a brace. Hullbridge’s goals were scored by Lewis Newman and Jimmy Cox.

Southend Manor were also in league cup action, at home to Burnham Ramblers.

But Russell Faulkner’s side continued their stuttering start to the season as they went down 3-2.

David Tubbs and Terry Griffiths were on target for Manor.

Elsewhere on Tuesday night, Billericay lost 4-2 in the Conference South away to Hayes & Yeading, who finished the game with 10 men. A brace from Kudos Oyenuga put Hayes in control before a penalty from Glenn Poole reduced the deficit five minutes after the restart. Toby Joseph restored the home side’s two-goal advantage on the hour-mark before Sam Cox was given his marching orders after handling the ball in the area. Poole successfully converted the resulting penalty to make it 3-2, but Hayes made it 4-2 in the 84th minute through Jerome Anderson.

Concord are still looking for their first points in the Ryman Premier this season after they lost 4-1 at Lowestoft Town.

Jason Hallett pulled one back for Concord to make it 3-1, but the Trawler Boys added a late fourth to seal the win.

Canvey made it two wins from two with a 2-0 home victory over promoted Leiston.

Danny Heale gave them an early lead and Rob King scored the second from the penalty spot before the interval.

And East Thurrock drew 1-1 at Wealdstone with Kris Newby netting their goal.