FA CUP - East Thurrock 3, Maidstone United 0

GEORGE THORPE at Rookery Hill

Twitter: @george7z

EAST Thurrock moved a step closer to emulating their club record FA Cup run after beating Maidstone 3-0.

The Rocks cruised through to the fourth qualifying round, meaning if they navigate the next round, they'll have reached the first round proper two years on the trot.

Maidstone were unable to cope with East Thurrock’s front line as Sam Higgins, Reiss Gilbey and Kye Ruel ran them ragged.

Rocks boss John Coventry said: “I think we just had a bit more quality on the pitch and up front, and once we got into the final third that quality really showed.”

And he refused to get too carried away, adding: “With the Conference sides coming in now, you’re just looking for a favourable draw.

“Looking at finances is important. It is a case of do we win and take the prize money or get drawn away to a side like Luton who get the biggest crowds in the Conference and get half of the gate money.”

Maidstone had the first chance as Alex Flisher shrugged off Ryan Sammons before finding Ian Draycott with a low cross in the 12th minute.

Draycott got a flick on the ball, but only saw it bounce back off the far post and into Richard Wray’s hands.

A minute later Hakeem Araba should have scored for the hosts when he was found free at the back post, but he hit his shot over.

Rocks took a 24th minute lead when Sam Bewick handled in the box, and Higgins duly scored from the penalty spot.

Rocks were in complete control of a lacklustre Stones side and in the 36th minute they made it 2–0.

Higgins won the ball on the left and dispatched a cross which was not cleared, allowing skipper Gilbey to slide in at the back post to score.

The second half did not light up until the 68th minute when visiting midfielder Flisher furiously berated referee Stuart Pawley for awarding a foul, and that saw him sent off for a second yellow card.

The dismissal killed the game and Kris Newby made it 3–0 with a brilliant goal three minutes from time.

The midfielder got the ball near the right touchline before running rings round three defenders to get into the box where he slotted home.

East Thurrock: Wray, Sammons, Stephen, Peddie, Sheehan, Parmenter, Newby, Gilbey, Higgins, Araba (Collins 81), Ruel.

Echo MOM: Sam Higgins (East Thurrock).


FA CUP - Cambridge City 1, Billericay 1

STEVE LEWIS at Milton Road

Twitter @stevelew74

GLENN Poole had a second half penalty saved as Billericay were held to a draw at lower league Cambridge City.

Town were not at their best even though they had enough chances to win, but they'll be confident of progressing from Tuesday's replay.

Cambridge were the better side in the first-half on Saturday, but Billericay were first to threaten when skipper Rob Swaine's header was cleared off the line.

Swaine was lucky to escape with just a booking on 12 minutes when he brought down Adrian Cambridge when he had a clear path to goal.

The hosts were on top nut Billericay had three good chances as the half drew to a close with Nathan Green drawing a fine save from Zac Barrett, before Jacek Magdzinksi somehow missed an easy header from Junior Luke's cross. Luke then wasted a good chance following Duran Reynolds' fine ball.

Billericay started the second half well, so it came as a surprise when the hosts took the lead when Mitchell Bryant's run and shot found the net via a touch from Billericay full-back Greg Oates on 50 minutes.

But the lead only lasted two minutes as Luke's long throw evaded everyone except Cambridge's Dave Theobald, who inadvertently turned it into his own net.

Town had the chance to go in front from the penalty spot when Theobald shoved Swaine over in the box, but Poole's spot kick was well saved by Barrett.

It was Poole's seventh penalty of the season, and the first he's missed.

Cambridge's Craig Hammond had a goal ruled out for offside late on, and the sides will do it all again on Tuesday night at New Lodge.

Billericay: Brightly, Oates, Anderson, Wild, Swaine, Reynolds, Luke, Poole, Osborn, Magdzinski (Hutchinson 45), Green.

Echo MOM: Junior Luke (Billericay).


RYMAN PREMIER - Leiston 1, Canvey 1

KEVIN Dobinson's disputed second-half equaliser earned Canvey a point at Leiston at Victory Road.

The hosts looked on course for victory after Gareth Heath tapped home his sixth goal of the season from close range five minutes before the break.

Canvey keeper Ashlee Jones had saved his initial downward header but the striker swept home the rebound.

Harrison Chatting wasted a great chance to level just before the break when he fired over from Ryan Edgar's centre.

Leiston captain David Head headed against the cross bar seven minutes after the restart.

And the Gulls made the most of the let off by drawing level with a little over 20 minutes remaining.

Ashley Dumas' deep cross appeared to hit Dobinson on the arm but he fired home anyway and the goal was given, despite the protests of the hosts.

Jay Curran had a chance to put Steve Tilson's side in front, but he volleyed just over from Bradley Woods-Garness' lay off.

Leiston pressed for a winner late on, but the Canvey defence marshalled by Richard Orlu stood firm and held on for a point.

Canvey: Jones, Miller, Dumas, Hawes, Hayles, Orlu, Dobinson, Edgar (Mason 69), Heale (Woods-Garness 15), Curran, Chatting.

Echo MOM: Richard Orlu (Canvey).



GREAT Wakering moved to within a point of top spot with a crushing 7-2 win over Eton Manor at Burroughs Park.

A first half hat-trick by Jimmy Webb, a brace from Jay Nash, and goals from Lewis Sparrow and Dave Collins completed a miserable afternoon for the visitors, who have not beaten Rovers for 12 years.

Goals from John Bricknell three minutes after the restart and Jack Leachman five minutes before the end were scant consolation for Manor.

There was also a fine win for Basildon United at Stansted.

Dave Reynolds gave the Bees a half-time lead, and further goals from Charlie Bridgeman and Terry Mason in the second half sealed a 3-0 win and ensured they finished the day in eighth place.

Southend Manor keeper Adam Seal was in great form as they played out a 0-0 at home to Barkingside.

But Hullbridge Sports suffered a 3-1 defeat at home to Barking. Tom Peck had given Sports a seventh minute lead, but Chas Liddiard, Ben O'Brien and Sean Crossley were on target for the visitors to ensure they took home the points.