Billericay were knocked out of the FA Cup following a second-half horror show at home to lower league Cambridge City last night.

Town took the lead through Glenn Poole. But they had keeper Dae Brightly sent off with half-an-hour to go, and a brace for both Cambridge strikers Mitchell Bryant and Craig Hammond meant that Poole's second from the penalty spot late in the game was just a consolation.

The first real test for either keeper came on 29 minutes when Mitchell Bryant got the better of home centre-back Chris Wild and drew a good low save from Dale Brightly.

That prompted a good response from Billericay and, after Wild had headed into the ground and over from a corner, Junior Luke forced Zac Barrett to field his low shot.

And 10 minutes before the break Billericay took the lead when Luke’s presence in the penalty box caused confusion and the ball fell invitingly for Glenn Poole.

Town’s top scorer side-footed the ball inside the post to make amends for his saved penalty in the first game between the teams on Saturday.

But the lead only lasted two minutes as a cute flick on the edge of Town’s penalty box put Bryant one-on-one with Brightly, and the striker steered the ball confidently home.

Luke went on a penetrating run and shot wide at the start of the second half, before Cambridge went 2-1 up in the 48th minute.

And it was Bryant again as he took advantage of some soft defending to dig the ball out of his feet before side-footing beyond the full-stretch dive of Brightly.

And it got much, much worse for Billericay on the hour mark as they had Brightly sent off in an incident which saw Cambridge go 3-1 up from the penalty spot.

It started when Wild was robbed of the ball on the half-way line by Craig Hammond, and he raced in and rounded the home keeper, who brought him down.

Hammond converted the spot kick, and soon after he had his second as Joe Anderson smashed an attempted clearance against his shins and that sent the ball trickling into the net to make it 4-1.

Cambridge’s Charlie Death hit a shot against the inside of the post before Poole pulled one back for Billericay from the penalty spot after sub Alex Osborn was brought down by Lee Chaffey.

Cambridge’s Hammond curled a beauty against the crossbar with the game’s last chance.

Billericay (4-4-2): Brightly; Anderson, Wild, Swaine, Oates (Edwards 60); Green, Poole, Reynolds, Luke; Lechmere, Halle (Bonnard 60).