A JOINT inquest has been scheduled after two people died following a fire.

Kieren Lynch is alleged to have set fire to himself and his mother-in-law.

Mr Lynch, 50, of Tewkes Road, Canvey, died from burns after being arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in connection to an incident where a woman was also seriously injured, and later died.

At a home in Boyce Green, Benfleet, on March 13 last year, both Mr Lynch and 72-year-old Jennifer Cronin suffered life-threatening burns.

The quiet cul-de-sac was flooded with police, fire engines and ambulances after the incident took place at about 10.50am.

Air ambulances landed on the green of Boyce Hill golf course behind the house and both patients were airlifted to hospital for emergency treatment.

Lynch was transported to a specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital where he later died at 8.30pm that night.

At an inquest opening on March 19, a post-mortem examination revealed his cause of death was burns awaiting histology and toxicology.

The court also heard that Mr Lynch was not previously known to mental health services and that the Independent Office for Police Conduct - the police watchdog - would be producing a report.

At the time, a spokesman told the Echo: “We received a mandatory referral from Essex Police following the death of a 50-year-old man after an incident in Benfleet.

“We are currently assessing that referral to determine the level, if any, of our involvement.”

Jennifer Cronin, who lived at the home in Boyce Green and is believed to be Mr Lynch’s former mother-in-law, remained in critical condition for three weeks before she succumbed to her injuries and died on March 30 at the burns unit in Broomfield Hospital.

An inquest into Mrs Cronin’s death opened on April 12 and a provisional cause of death was recorded as burns.

Proceedings regarding both deaths have been linked and a full inquest to determine the circumstances will take place on January 21.

The inquest will take place over five days due to the volume of witnesses who are required to give evidence and will be before a jury.

In the wake of her death, Jenny’s daughter Susan Lynch described her mum as “a very kind and gentle lady”.

She added: “She will be sadly missed by myself, her granddaughters and all her lovely friends.”