A quick-thinking mum has shared a photo to help parents spot the signs of sepsis early after her young son contracted the deadly blood poisoning after a fall.

Ewan Ruddy, aged eight, was at the zoo when he was running and fell over on some gravel.

Basildon Standard:

Concerned - mum Alexandra Ruddy, 41

Basildon Standard:

First sign - a week after the fall, Ewan noticed he had a small red mark tracking down a vein on his right arm - which was the first sign of sepsis

His mum Alexandra Ruddy, 41, said he suffered small bloody grazes to his hand, elbow and knee but "didn't think anything of it."

However, a week later on June 1 Ewan noticed he had a small red mark tracking down a vein on his right arm - which was the first sign of sepsis.

Sepsis is a life-threatening illness caused by your body's response to an infection.

Alexandra, a law firm director from Jersey, Channel Islands, said: "This is blood poisoning, sepsis.

"It isn’t something you can “leave” until Monday when the doctors are back in the office."

The mum-of-three said it shocked her as Ewan had fallen over and suffered grazes but "the wounds didn't look infected" or "gunky".

She said: "When we took him home, we cleaned him up straight away and put plasters on him.

"His grazes weren't pussy and didn't look infected so I wasn't overly worried or concerned."

She added: "He had a slight temperature, and Ewan showed my husband a red mark and my husband said it was nothing and to not worry about it.

"But Ewan kept saying he didn't like it and that it was uncomfortable and itchy."

Alexandra took him to A&E where where doctors quickly confirmed Ewan had contracted sepsis - a condition that kills around 15,000 people in England every year.

She added: "I took him down to the out of hours feeling a bit silly but when the doctor saw it he commended me on recognising it and getting down ASAP.

"The doctor said well done for coming here because it could have gone a lot worse.

"He put a black marker on the line and said if it gets wider or bigger than this line you need to come back immediately."

The doctor at the Jersery General Hospital gave Ewan oral antibiotics to take and Alexandra they started to work on the second day.

Alexandra is now raising awareness along with the Mannin Sepsis charity in the hope to help to "save someones life".

She originally posted the picture online and it has received over 36,000 shares since June 2.

Alexandra said: "Thankfully the antibiotics are working and he is well in himself.

"If you spot this red line running from a wound along the vein get yourself or your child seen straight away. Ewan was fine in himself, he was happy - which is what made it difficult to notice.

"He was absolutely fine and that is the scary bit about it.

"Hopefully my post might help someone.

"My post has already helped a woman who wasn't feeling well and had the red line, she went to the doctors and is now on antibiotics, i'm glad it can help."

Founder and director of Mannin Sepsis Charity, Dee Struthers, said: "Any infection can lead to sepsis when your own body goes into overdrive to fight the infection.

"It fights so hard and going into overdrive that it starts attacking all your vital organs, closing them down which can lead to loss of limbs or in some cases death.

"Every hour counts, each hour lost increase the risk of death by eight per cent.

"It’s important to seek medical advice and ask the question “could it be sepsis?”

"If you or a loved one is displaying any of the signs or symptoms always trust your instinct and ask."