A FAMILY escaped a house fire after being alerted by smoke alarms.

The fire broke out at a home in Jacqueline Gardens in Billericay at 3pm on Sunday.

The small fire had started in the conservatory, and fire crews attended the scene and put it out by 3.23pm.

The fire was accidental and left the conservatory fire and smoke damaged and the kitchen suffered some smoke damage.

Watch Manager Rob Fossett, from Basildon Fire Station, said: “The resident did the right thing when hearing her smoke alarms going off by getting out of the house, staying out and calling us.

"I'd urge everyone to test your smoke alarms, they are proven life savers and if you haven’t got them, we can fit them for free during a home fire safety visit.”

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service will fit smoke alarms for free in all homes.

Call 0300 303 0088 or visit www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book.