A LORRY driver has been released on bail following the death of a tractor driver in a crash on the A13 at Pitsea.

People rushed to help after seeing the crash on Pitsea Flyover shortly after 1.30pm yesterday.

The tractor driver, a man in his 60s from the Colchester area, was airlifted to the Royal London Hospital in a critical condition after suffering head, chest, leg and internal injuries, but died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

A man in his 60s from Lancashire, who had been driving a white HGV towing a trailer, was taken to hospital for treatment to slight injuries.

He was later arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

He was bailed until January 18 pending further enquiries.

The third vehicle was a silver Citroen Despatch van. The driver was treated for slight injuries.

Both carriageways of the flyover were closed until about 10.30pm for a police investigation, vehicle recovery and for repairs.

Hayley Rumball, 30 of Beach Road, Canvey, saw the crash as she drove along the A13 with her three-year-old daughter in the back of the car.

She said: “I was driving on other side of the road when I saw debris flying across, so I slammed my brakes and looked over.

“I saw a man laying in the road, his leg was obviously broken and he was motionless.

“It was awful. I don’t think I will get that poor man’s image out of my head for a while.

“I looked up from him and saw the driver of the van smashing his own windows, trying to get out of it. I had my three-year-old in the back of the car with me, but thank goodness I had a sun visor up on her window so she didn’t see a thing and she slept while we waited in traffic while the police did their job.”

Motorists were seen trying to help, before the emergency services arrived.

Gemma Hayward, 36, from Leigh, drove past the scene. She said: “It was really odd. We were just coming off Southend-bound by Tesco and there was a big lorry on the London-bound side with a smashed window and damage to the front of the cab.

“On our side of the road, there was a transit van, and a tractor was in the side of it.

“Lots of people had gone to help and were trying to help someone in the road.”

Motorists were told to avoid the area as traffic queued back eastbound to Stanford-le-Hope and westbound to Sadlers Farm roundabout.

A police spokesman said: “Road closures were in place for several hours into the evening rush as police collision investigators carried out their inquiries.”

Any witnesses who have not yet spoken to police or anyone with information about events leading to the collision should contact Pc Jenny Pirie at the Essex Police Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 101 or email collisionappeal@essex.pnn.police.uk