BOWERS & Pitsea lost their grip on top spot of the Isthmian North as, like Basildon United, Rob Small’s side were held to a draw.

Canvey Island, however, ended a run of three consecutive defeats by seeing off Dereham Town, while Great Wakering Rovers suffered a disappointing defeat to Soham Town Rangers.

Bowers & Pitsea 2-2 Bury Town

Bowers & Pitsea dropped off the Isthmian North summit as Bury Town scored two goals in the space of four second half minutes to snatch a share of the spoils at the Len Salmon Stadium.

Brad Warner, making his first appearance for Bowers since rejoining the club from AFC Hornchurch in midweek, came close to giving the hosts an early lead as he saw his driven effort strike the outside of the post.

Bowers goalkeeper Andy Wilton had to be at his best to deny Emmanuel Machaya, while opposite number Luis Tibbles thwarted Lewis Manor.

But the home side broke the deadlock two minutes before the break as Warner found the top corner of the net with an impressive free-kick.

And Bowers doubled their advantage 12 minutes after the interval.

Manor’s flick was handled and the referee did not hesitate in pointing to the spot.

David Knight stepped up and confidently dispatched the resulting spot-kick.

Tibbles tipped a Quentin Monville attempt over the crossbar and that save proved crucial as, two minutes later, Jake Kerins reduced Bury’s deficit with a fine strike.

And the visitors were level four minutes later as Jake Chambers-Shaw’s free-kick evaded everyone and found the bottom corner of the net.

Tom Stephen’s volley flashed wide of the target as Bowers went in search of a winner, but Bury had done enough to seal a point.

Romford 0-0 Basildon United

Basildon United bounced back from their narrow defeat to Felixstowe & Walton United by claiming a goalless draw at Romford.

The Bees travelled to East Thurrock United’s Rookery Hill looking to get their first points on the board since Michael Walther joined Lee Connor in the dugout.

And although the hosts went into the clash having suffered five defeats on the spin in the Isthmian North, Basildon were unable to break down Romford.

The point resulted in the visitors dropping out of the play-off places.

Dereham Town 0-1 Canvey Island

A solitary strike from Adam Vyse allowed Canvey Island to return to form after suffering three consecutive defeats.

The Gulls nearly raced into a sixth minute lead as Vyse, who joined from Great Wakering Rovers earlier this season, saw his header crash against the crossbar and James White’s rebound was cleared off the line.

Vyse was then denied by Dereham goalkeeper Elliot Pride, while strike partner Martin Tuohy was also frustrated by the custodian soon after.

Dereham were reduced to 10 men with just 35 minutes played as Robbie Linford was shown a second yellow card following a challenge on Jose Figura.

Pride thwarted Marlon Agyakwa and Figura before the break, while Canvey goalkeeper Harry Palmer pulled off two fine saves early in the second half.

Ryan Melaugh was kept out by Pride, but the goalkeeper could do nothing to stop the visitors taking a 64th minute lead as Vyse’s powerful header – following a Melaugh cross – found the back of the net.

Canvey then had an effort ruled out for offside before both sides struck the crossbar – with Frankie Merrifield hitting the woodwork – in the closing stages.

But the Gulls had done enough to claim all three points.

Soham Town Rangers 3-1 Great Wakering Rovers

Great Wakering Rovers were unable to build on their victory over Heybridge Swifts as they were put to the sword by Soham Town Rangers.

Struggling Soham took a 26th minute lead as Brandy Makhendi put through his own net.

And Lloyd Groves doubled the home side’s advantage nine minutes after the interval to give Soham a two-goal advantage.

Marcus Bowers gave Wakering hope by halving the deficit with nine minutes remaining, but Soham put the game out of sight as Callum Russell completed the scoring two minutes later.