BILLERICAY Town booked their place in the first round of the FA Trophy thanks to a narrow win over Hampton & Richmond Borough.

However, Concord Rangers and East Thurrock United will not be joining them in the hat as they suffered defeats to Wealdstone and Salisbury respectively.

Hampton & Richmond Borough 0-1 Billericay Town

A Jake Robinson penalty was enough for Billericay Town to get the better of National League South rivals Hampton & Richmond Borough in the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy.

Dean Brennan’s side came close to taking a fifth minute lead as Joe Kizzi’s cross was met by Moses Emmanuel, whose effort deflected onto the post.

Emmanuel then shot wide from 20 yards as Billericay dominated the early exchanges.

Town were then hindered as Scott Doe was taken off with an injury midway through the first half and Hampton should have taken the lead when Chris Dickson fired wide after finding himself one-on-one with Billericay goalkeeper Alan Julian.

Robinson thought he had headed the visitors in front on the hour mark, but the frontman’s goal was ruled out for a push.

Dickson came close to getting his name on the scoresheet as the Hampton dangerman hit the post, but Billericay were handed a penalty with less than 20 minutes remaining.

Robinson, who had not registered a goal since netting in the Essex Senior Cup victory over Concord Rangers, stepped up and found the back of the net from the resulting spot-kick.

Hampton finished the encounter with 10 men as Rian Bray was shown a second yellow card with 12 minutes remaining.

Julian preserved his clean sheet by pulling off a tremendous double save late on and Billericay were able to progress to the next round of the competition.

Concord Rangers 2-3 Wealdstone

Concord Rangers were knocked out of the FA Trophy after falling short against divisional rivals Wealdstone.

Stones broke the deadlock with just 14 minutes on the clock at the Aspect Arena as Jerome Okimo headed home a Bradley Hudson-Odoi cross.

Liam Nash, who has extended his loan spell from Gillingham, went close for the Beach Boys but the visitors doubled their advantage as Fumnaya Shomotun’s curling effort found the back of the net.

Nash headed just wide of the target soon before the interval, but the away side gave themselves a three-goal cushion as Danny Green converted just past the hour mark.

However, the Beach Boys refused to go down without a fight and Lee Minshull reduced the arrears.

And Concord had hope moments later as Alex Wall’s driven shot found the target.

Wall then saw an effort go over the crossbar and the Concord goals proved to be too little too late as Sammy Moore’s side exited the competition.

Salisbury 2-1 East Thurrock United

East Thurrock United are out of the FA Trophy after coming up short against Steve Claridge’s Salisbury.

Ryan Downing’s free-kick broke the deadlock after eight minutes to put Salisbury in the ascendancy.

However, Ben Marlow got Rocks back on level terms 10 minutes after the interval with a fine solo goal.

But East Thurrock were on level terms for just 14 minutes as Tom Wheelman netted what proved to be the winner.

Rocks pushed for a leveller, but they were unable to break down the hosts for a second time and Salisbury will be in the hat for the first round of the competition at East Thurrock’s expense.