HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS overturned a 2-0 deficit to run out 3-2 winners in tonight’s thrilling Bostik League clash against Basildon United at the Aspen Waite Arena.

The Bees stormed into a commanding lead in the division north contest thanks to first-half goals from Stuart Zanone and Rhys Fatt.

But Julian Dicks’ promotion-chasing side rallied thanks to two second-half penalties converted by Luke Wilson and Matthew Price.

Kreshnic Krasniqi then fired home four minutes from time to secure a dramatic victory.

The fightback continued Swifts’ strong form at Scraley Road, where they have not lost since the opening day of September.

And, more significantly, it was a major boost in their quest for promotion to the premier division.

They stay fourth but are now level on points with rivals Maldon and Tiptree, who were left without a game because of a power failure at scheduled hosts AFC Sudbury's King's Marsh Stadium.

Dicks said beforehand he was looking for a reaction from his players following Saturday’s bitterly disappointing 3-0 defeat at Felixstowe and Walton United.

They started brightly, pushing the visitors back, but the game quickly became an even contest.

Basildon had the first meaningful effort when a free-kick was only cleared as far as Matthew Brincklow, whose volley was on target but straight at keeper Chris Haigh.

And it was the visitors who broke the deadlock on the half-hour mark.

Daniel Cheema released Zanone, who surged forward before rounding Haigh and slotting into the empty net for 1-0.

A second soon followed and it was a similarly cool finish, this time from Fatt.

The wide man pounced on a loose ball in midfield, sped forward and slipped the ball under the onrushing Swifts keeper.

Swifts needed a positive response and half-time substitute Harrison Chatting, on for Dan Walker, tested keeper Emmanuel Olajide.

Joseph Turpin then went close at the other end with a vicious free-kick that had to be tipped over by Haigh.

However, Heybridge gave themselves a lifeline with a goal just after the hour-mark, after a foul in the area.

Robert Hodgson was red-carded and Luke Wilson hammered home from the spot, to tee up a grandstand finish.

Swifts pushed for a leveller and their second goal also came from the spot, after Emmanuel Osei-Owusu’s cross from the left was adjudged to have been handled by a Basildon defender.

Substitute Matthew Price took responsibility this time, burying a low effort into the bottom left-hand corner.

Swifts were in the ascendancy now and their winner duly arrived four minutes from time.

Krasniqi was the hero with an effort that flew into the net – much to the delighted of the home fans packed behind the goal.

Earlier in the day, COGGESHALL TOWN’S home match against Brentwood Town was called off because of a waterlogged pitch at West Street.