CONCORD Rangers claimed a 2-2 draw at Chelmsford City to keep their dreams of reaching the National League South play-offs alive.

Goals from Alex Wall and Jack Midson allowed Concord to cancel out Scott Fenwick’s opener and turn the game on its head.

But Chris Whelpdale hit Chelmsford’s leveller and the Beach Boys were made to hold on for a draw after Tosan Popo was shown two quickfire yellow cards late on at the Melbourne Community Stadium.

Jonny Giles fired a 15th minute free-kick over the crossbar as the hosts looked to break the deadlock.

And the opener came just three minutes later as Fenwick drilled home after Rhys Murphy’s pullback.

Chelmsford continued to create chances, with Mickey Spillane and Fenwick coming close, but were unable to take their chances.

Concord took advantage as Wall latched onto Danny Green’s dangerous cross and fired past home goalkeeper Nathan McDonald to level matters nine minutes before the break.

The Beach Boys were in buoyant mood and awarded a penalty six minutes after the resumption after Spillane was penalised for handball.

Player-assistant manager Midson stepped up and made no mistake to give Concord the lead.

Chelmsford had penalty shouts waved away by the referee after Murphy went down under pressure from Popo.

The Clarets continued to search for an equaliser and Whelpdale saw his curling strike cannon against the post before Fenwick was superbly denied by Concord goalkeeper Sam Beasant from the rebound.

The hosts eventually broke through the Concord defence, courtesy of some great skill by Whelpdale.

The winger wriggled his way into the penalty area and toe-poked a sweet effort past the oncoming Beasant.

Concord had Beasant to thank yet again as the shot-stopper frustrated Aaron Cosgrave with seven minutes remaining.

The Beach Boys were reduced to 10 men in the 86th minute after Popo was shown two quickfire yellow cards for fouls on Anthony Church and Fenwick.

Chelmsford hoped to find a late winner, but Concord defended well and picked up a valuable point.