CONCORD Rangers kept their National League South play-off hopes alive by staging an impressive fightback at Gloucester City.

The Beach Boys looked as though they were heading towards defeat against the strugglers, but Connor Essam and Lee Minshull goals ensured Concord would return to south Essex with all three points.

Great Wakering Rovers, however, suffered an Isthmian North loss at Barking.

Gloucester City 1-2 Concord Rangers

Concord Rangers staged a second half comeback at Gloucester City to keep their National League South play-off dreams alive.

Goals from Connor Essam and Lee Minshull, with both efforts being given after the assistant referee adjudged the ball to have crossed the line, cancelled out Luke Russe’s first half strike and allowed the Beach Boys to record a 2-1 win over Gloucester City.

Joan Luque, who has impressed since joining the club after being released by League Two table-toppers Lincoln City, was wayward with Concord’s first opportunity of the contest.

And Jake Mawford came close to giving the struggling hosts a 19th minute lead as he latched onto Joe Parker’s dangerous cross but saw his effort go agonisingly wide.

But Gloucester broke the deadlock moments later as Russe’s 30 yard strike beat Beach Boys goalkeeper Sam Beasant.

Joe Hanks looked to add his name to the scoresheet just before half-time, but the midfielder’s long range half volley went inches past the post.

Concord felt they should have had a penalty when Alex Wall went down in the penalty area, but the referee waved away the appeals.

Danny Green then fired over the crossbar when he was found in space.

However, the Beach Boys’ pressure paid off as Gloucester goalkeeper Will Henry spilt Essam’s header and the effort was adjudged to have crossed the line.

Concord went in search of a late winner and they grabbed all three points in the dying moments as Minshull, on his return from a three-match suspension, rose highest and broke Gloucester hearts.

Barking 2-0 Great Wakering Rovers

Great Wakering Rovers’ poor run of form continued as they suffered a 2-0 defeat to Barking at Mayesbrook Park.

Nana Boakye-Yiadom, who spent pre-season with Concord Rangers, grabbed both goals for the hosts as Wakering failed to pull away from the Isthmian North drop zone.

After a quiet first half, Wakering missed a good chance to take the lead.

Barking goalkeeper Montel Joseph was quick off his line and attempted to cut out a cross-field ball, but Southend United loanee Matt Rush got there first. Rush’s cross found William Harris, but his attempt went just over the crossbar.

The miss proved costly as Boakye-Yiadom was first to the ball after Wakering custodian Louis Hawes had spilt an initial effort.

Wakering right-back Jason Ring was frustrated as his strike was blocked on the line before Rush’s rebound effort was foiled by Joseph.

Billy Reynolds’ free-kick, from 30 yards out, landed on the roof of the net but Barking were to double their advantage moments later as Boakye-Yiadom stroked home Ola Ogunwamide’s cross.

Wakering could not find the back of the net and Barking were able to claim all three points.