EAST Thurrock United’s National League South relegation was confirmed despite recording a 4-1 win over high-flying Welling United.

John Coventry’s side went into the encounter, which was held on the same day as celebrations were taking place to mark 50 years since the club was founded, knowing they needed three points and fellow strugglers Hungerford Town and Truro City not to win.

However, Hungerford’s late victory over champions Torquay United resulted in Rocks’ efforts at Rookery Hill not being enough.

Sam Higgins put East Thurrock on course for victory with 15 minutes on the clock, while the home side’s captain doubled his tally for the afternoon less than 10 minutes before the break.

There was still time for Mohammed Bettamer to halve the deficit on the stroke of half-time, but East Thurrock got the second period off to the best possible start as Jon Nzengo added his name to the scoresheet two minutes after the resumption.

Rickie Hayles rounded off the scoring late on, but it was not enough to salvage Rocks’ National League South status.

Meanwhile, Billericay Town were consigned to a late 2-1 defeat at Dartford.

Town went into the clash knowing that their play-off place could be secured with victory and results elsewhere going their way.

And Harry Wheeler’s side looked to be on course for all three points as Jake Robinson converted from the spot moments after Billericay goalkeeper Mark Smith kept out a Charlie Sheringham penalty.

However, Tom Murphy restored parity with 88 minutes on the clock.

And matters got worse for Billericay as substitute Murphy netted the winner in the second minute of injury time.

In the Isthmian North, Canvey Island recorded a fine 4-0 triumph over Basildon United at the Frost Hire Stadium.

The Gulls took an early lead through Ade Cole and Frankie Merrifield doubled the hosts’ advantage after being found by Josh Hutchinson.

Merrifield fired into the back of the net from an acute angle 20 minutes after the resumption.

And Merrifield completed his hat-trick 10 minutes from time, while George Unwin struck the base of the post.

Champions Bowers & Pitsea were condemned to a 1-0 defeat at Great Wakering Rovers.

Martin Tuohy scored the only goal of the derby with 15 minutes remaining as Bowers were consigned to back-to-back losses in the space of 48 hours.