DANNY Scopes’ new-look Concord Rangers got their pre-season programme underway with a 4-0 defeat to Millwall.

Former Southend United striker Neil Harris, who is based in Eastwood, brought his Championship side to the Aspect Arena for the clash.

And goals from Shaun Williams, Ben Thompson, Reuben Duncan and Fred Onyedinma ensured the Lions would overcome their National League South hosts.

Matt Smith rose highest to meet a cross and headed against the crossbar inside two minutes, while a tame effort from the Millwall striker was comfortably kept out by Chris Haigh soon after.

Concord’s first meaningful attempt came after 19 minutes as Decarrey Sheriff outmuscled Junior Tiensia before seeing his deflected effort gathered by Lions goalkeeper Frank Fielding.

The Beach Boys’ Joel Nouble should have grabbed the opener moments later, but the frontman fired wide after being found by Tosin Olufemi.

Millwall took the lead shortly after the half hour mark as Jed Wallace’s low cross was dummied by Tom Bradshaw and Williams was on hand to drill the ball beyond Haigh.

Fielding made a fine save to frustrate Nouble, who broke away from the Lions defence with his pace and power, while Bradshaw fired over Haigh’s goal seconds later.

Haigh then repelled Jiri Skalak after fine wing play allowed the former Brighton & Hove Albion man to find some space.

Both sides made wholesale changes for the second period, with defenders Olufemi, Danny Hurford and Quba Gordon the only Beach Boys to re-emerge.

Millwall’s Mahlon Romeo fought off Hurford before sending a low pass into the danger zone and Thompson saw his close range effort blocked shortly after the interval.

Concord shot-stopper Dan Confrey was then equal to Thompson’s deflected long range drive.

Cameron Harris came off the bench to feature for the Beach Boys against a Millwall side managed by his dad with more than 20 minutes remaining.

Former Southend United midfielder Ryan Leonard dispossessed Freddy Moncur and drove at the Concord defence, but Confrey gathered the substitute’s low strike.

But Millwall were to double their advantage with 72 minutes on the clock as Thompson tucked home Romeo’s cross.

Just two minutes later, the Lions registered their third goal of the afternoon as Duncan latched onto Leonard’s centre.

Onyedinma added his name to the scoresheet in the closing exchanges.

Despite the loss, Scopes’ new-look side showed plenty of promise as they competed alongside each other in a match situation for the first time.