CONCORD Rangers marked their return from a training camp by recording a 1-0 win over East Thurrock United.

The Beach Boys went into the pre-season friendly having suffered a resounding 5-0 defeat to Bowers & Pitsea seven days earlier.

But Danny Scopes’ new-look side were able to triumph at Rookery Hill thanks to a late Lamar Reynolds goal.

Rocks goalkeeper Jack Giddens was forced into a fine early save by Decarrey Sheriff, whose blistering strike looked destined for the top corner of the net, while the custodian also kept out a long range drive from Danny Green.

Former Southend United youngster Alex Clark, who agreed a move to East Thurrock on Saturday, forced Chris Haigh into action with a goalbound free-kick.

Aron Pollock should have broken the deadlock 10 minutes before the interval.

The Concord central defender got away from his marker and latched onto a Green corner, but Pollock’s header went over the crossbar when well placed.

A succession of blocks denied Beach Boys left-back Joe Claridge after the former Heybridge Swifts man had been found by Joel Nouble.

Shortly after the interval, Nouble had penalty appeals waved away despite it appearing as though the former Thurrock and Haringey Borough man had been brought down.

Giddens then made a wonderful diving save to stop Billy Roast’s sweetly struck volley finding the bottom corner of the net.

The former Billericay Town shot-stopper than kept James Blanchfield at bay after the midfielder was played in on goal.

The opening goal came with eight minutes remaining as Nouble slipped in Reynolds, who was able to slot home.

East Thurrock went in search of an immediate response and Clark’s free-kick went inches wide of the target.

Concord should have then grabbed a quickfire second goal but missed from close range.

Clark forced Haigh into a fine stop as the winger continued to cause the visitors’ backline problems.

Mitch Gilbey was then frustrated by a Roast block as the friendly entered the closing stages.

Although Rocks created further late chances, Concord had done enough to come out on top at Rookery Hill.