A STOPPAGE time goal from Jake Robinson allowed Billericay Town to register a 1-0 victory over Eastbourne Borough on the opening day of the National League South season.

Town went into the new campaign with a target of winning promotion to the top tier of non-league football.

And Billericay notched all three points thanks to Robinson’s late winner at the Steel Team Stadium.

Town struggled to get going in the first half and the better chances were created by the visitors.

Summer signing Matt Rhead met Callum Kennedy’s curling cross with a header from the edge of the penalty area, which forced Eastbourne goalkeeper Tom Hadler into a diving save.

Moments later, Robinson’s flicked header was easily gathered by the custodian.

But Harry Wheeler’s side struggled to create another opening in the first half.

Billericay goalkeeper Alan Julian did well to bat away Kristian Campbell’s header after the full-back rose highest to meet an Eastbourne corner with 18 minutes on the clock.

The away side’s set pieces were causing Billericay plenty of problems and former Dagenham & Redbridge frontman Elliot Romain wriggled free of the hosts’ defenders before sending a header onto the roof of the net when well placed.

Billericay were much improved after the interval and Jordan Parkes, a summer arrival from Hemel Hempstead Town, saw a goalbound strike blocked after Moses Emmanuel’s centre caused panic in the Eastbourne penalty area.

Shortly after the hour mark, substitute Tambeson Eyong’s drilled cross cannoned off a defender and clattered against the underside of the crossbar before the visitors could clear their lines.

Alfie Potter then found Emmanuel, who dwelled on the ball before pulling the trigger, which allowed Eastbourne to block the attempt.

Billericay continued to up the tempo as they went in search of a goal and Hadler made an outstanding save to keep Robinson at bay.

The striker met Emmanuel’s cross with a header that looked destined for the corner of the net, but the Eastbourne goalkeeper clawed the ball away.

Rhead thought he had broken the deadlock with just nine minutes remaining as the striker headed a Kennedy free-kick home from close range.

However, the celebrations were cut short as the former Lincoln City man was adjudged to have been offside.

But Billericay were not to be frustrated as, deep in stoppage time, Robinson slid Emmanuel’s cross home to allow Town to steal all three points.