BILLERICAY Town snatched a late 2-1 win over Welling United at the Steel Team Stadium.

Although Jordan Parkes gave Harry Wheeler’s side the lead, Billericay missed a number of presentable opportunities before Gavin McCallum drew the visitors level in the National League South encounter.

Town were reduced to 10 men as Charlie Wassmer was dismissed for a two-footed lunge, but Billericay grabbed a late winner thanks to Jake Robinson’s spot-kick.

The first chance of the encounter fell the way of the visitors as Anthony Cook’s long range drive was kept out by Alan Julian inside three minutes.

An unmarked Billericay skipper Ronnie Henry headed a corner wide of the target soon after, but the hosts broke the deadlock with 19 minutes on the clock.

Louis Ramsay, who was making his full debut since his summer switch to the Steel Team Stadium, found Parkes and the attacking midfielder picked out the top corner of the net from 25 yards out.

Parkes then tries to catch Welling goalkeeper Dan Wilks off his line from 40 yards out, but his audacious effort went inches over the crossbar.

Billericay continued to pile on the pressure and Alfie Potter went on a buccaneering run before feeding Moses Emmanuel, whose shot on the turn was well kept out by Wilks.

Emmanuel and Potter dragged efforts wide of the target as Town went in search of a two-goal cushion, but the missed opportunities came back to haunt the home side five minutes before the interval.

Welling winger McCallum was allowed to cut inside before sending a thunderous strike into the top corner.

The goal was a sucker-punch after Billericay dominated the first half and they returned for the second period looking to restore their lead.

A Callum Kennedy free-kick was held by Wilks, while Matt Rhead headed wide as Town created the early chances after the break.

Parkes would have doubled his tally for the evening were it not for a superb block following a fine team move involving, Craig Robson, Ramsay and Potter.

Wassmer should have grabbed his second goal of the season from the resulting corner, but the unmarked central defender stabbed the ball wide from close range.

Emmanuel came even closer to adding his name to the scoresheet as he beat Wilks to a long pass over the top of the Welling defence by Kennedy, but the frontman’s effort was cleared off the line by Jay Rich-Baghuelou.

Former Billericay midfielder Luke Rooney saw his long range attempt deflect and whistle past the post with Town goalkeeper Julian beaten.

The hosts responded with Kennedy testing Wilks, but Bradley Goldberg should have fired Welling in front when the ball fell kindly to him inside the penalty area. Thankfully for Billericay, the frontman’s strike flashed across the face of goal.

Substitute Nathan Green then broke free of Robson before firing wide of the target as Welling continued to put Billericay under pressure.

With nine minutes remaining, Town were reduced to 10 men as Wassmer saw red for a two-footed tackle.

But Welling could not capitalise on the numerical advantage and Town were awarded a 90th minute penalty after Emmanuel was brought down by ex-Billericay defender Rob Swaine.

Robinson stepped up and confidently dispatched the spot-kick to ensure Billericay would claim all three points.