BILLERICAY Town prepared for Monday's mouth-watering Essex derby at Chelmsford City by returning to winning ways.

Goals from Moses Emmanuel, Jordan Parkes and Matt Rhead allowed Billericay to record a 3-0 triumph over Hungerford Town at the Steel Team Stadium.

And boss Harry Wheeler was pleased to come through their latest National League South clash without any fresh injury worries.

Wheeler said: “We had a few tired muscles, which was understandable.

“We wanted to rest people and would have rested all of them for the last 20 minutes if we could, but we can only make three substitutions.

“Because of that, we took off the three who we felt were tightening and seizing up the most.

“But, luckily, we came through the game unscathed and that’s what you want when you’ve got such a quick turnaround.”

After a goalless first half at the Steel Team Stadium, Billericay broke the deadlock less than 60 seconds into the second period.

Emmanuel netted from close range after Sam Deering, who was making his first start of the campaign, had been denied.

Matt Rhead then rattled the crossbar as the hosts looked to put daylight between the two sides.

And Rhead played a key role as Billericay doubled their advantage.

The striker, who joined from League One side Lincoln City during the summer, was bundled over and the referee pointed to the spot.

Parkes duly converted the penalty to put Billericay firmly in control.

And Rhead completed the scoring by heading home, via the underside of the crossbar, soon after the hour mark.

Wheeler felt his side were full value for the three points and was overjoyed to see Billericay record a comfortable victory just a matter of days after suffering a setback at Hemel Hempstead Town.

The Billericay chief, who is enjoying his second spell in charge at the Steel Team Stadium, added: “I thought the first half wasn’t bad because we pushed well and controlled the game.

“When you play against teams who sit in well and have a really good low block, it’s tough to break those sides down.

“Our play in the final third could have improved in the first half because we were panicking in front of goal and needed to be calm.

“At half-time, Jamie (O’Hara, player-assistant manager) had a few words with the lads and I echoed his words.

“We just needed to stay calm, move it around and stay solid because we felt they could only sustain that pressure for a certain amount of time.

“In the end, we broke them down and got the three points.

“It was a great start to the second half and we capitalised on it.

“I’m pleased with how the lads reacted to the first goal and kept on pushing.”