WHILE Canvey Island and Southend Manor were able to notch impressive victories, East Thurrock United were made to settle for an away point and Hullbridge Sports, Concord Rangers, Bowers & Pitsea and Basildon United suffered defeats.

Canvey booked their place in the preliminary round of the FA Trophy by recording a 4-1 win over Welwyn Garden City.

George Purcell gave the Gulls a 19th minute lead from the penalty spot before Jason Hallett added his name to the scoresheet.

Purcell doubled his tally for the afternoon shortly after the break and, although Callum Stead pulled a goal back for the hosts, Hallett rounded off the scoring by completing his brace.

However, Hullbridge will not be joining them in the next stage of the competition after suffering a 4-2 defeat to Barton Rovers.

A Dean Dummett brace put Barton in the driving seat before Yemi Adelani halved Sports’ deficit on the stroke of half-time at the Ryan’s Heating Stadium.

Nathan Tshikuna restored the visitors’ two-goal advantage only for Bertie Brayley to peg Barton back immediately.

But Barton were not to be denied victory as Connor Vincent scored and Hullbridge’s Courtney Homans saw red in the dying embers.

In the National League South, Concord were consigned to a 3-0 defeat by Weymouth.

Ben Thomson handed the Terras, who earned promotion last term and came into the contest following three consecutive triumphs, a 13th minute lead.

Two goals in the space of four second half minutes from Yemi Odubade and Cameron Murray put the game beyond the Beach Boys.

Bowers were also defeated as they were on the wrong side of a 1-0 scoreline at Leatherhead.

Ibrahim Olutade’s 13th minute goal was enough to separate the two sides and ensure Leatherhead recorded their first win of the Isthmian Premier League campaign.

East Thurrock registered a 1-1 draw at Cray Wanderers.

Andy Pugh gave Rocks the lead seconds after the restart.

But John Coventry’s men were made to settle for a point thanks to Tom Murphy’s 75th minute leveller.

Basildon were consigned to a 3-0 Isthmian North reverse at AFC Sudbury.

The turning point proved to be a Joe Turpin red card just three minutes after the break.

Callum Harrison converted the spot-kick that followed the central defender’s dismissal.

Baris Altintop added his name to the scoresheet after 59 minutes and Reece Harris completed the scoring three minutes later.

In the Essex Senior League, Southend Manor made it back-to-back wins following Michael Walther’s appointment as manager as they beat Ilford 2-1 at Southchurch Park.