EAST Thurrock United bounced back from their last-gasp defeat at Bishop’s Stortford by recording a 4-2 victory over Haringey Borough at the Grayers Graphics Stadium.

Before the Isthmian Premier League clash got underway, respects were paid to Ben Bennett, who saved Rocks from likely extinction 20 years ago and sadly passed away in midweek.

Having fallen behind to Anthos Solomou’s long range strike, John Coventry’s East Thurrock turned the game on its head thanks to Darren Foxley, Amos Nasha, Frankie Merrifield and Mitch Gilbey finding the back of the net.

Chiduben Onokwai pulled a goal back for the visitors, but Rocks secured all three points.

Haringey were fortunate not to have been reduced to 10 men inside the opening five minutes.

Nasha’s run was brought to an end thanks to a wild challenge from Joseph Staunton.

Although the right-back appeared to go over the top of the ball, referee Craig Pullen deemed it to only be a yellow card offence despite Rocks’ protests.

The first meaningful opportunity of the contest went the way of the hosts, but central defender Steve Sheehan was unable to generate enough power to trouble goalkeeper Pablo Casillas Carro after meeting Gilbey’s free-kick.

Foxley, the St Albans City loanee, then forced Casillas Carro into a sprawling save with a long range strike before Nasha sent an attempt inches wide.

Despite creating the better opportunities, East Thurrock fell behind on 24 minutes as Solomou rifled into the bottom corner of the net from long range.

However, Rocks levelled matters just nine minutes later as Foxley stabbed the ball home after Ryan Scott had been denied by Casillas Carro.

The hosts came within a whisker of turning the game on its head seconds later as Merrifield beat the offside trap only to find the foot of the post.

Alex Clark, who had emerged as a substitute on the half-hour mark following an injury to Danny Harris, went on a marauding run into the Haringey penalty area but his centre narrowly evaded Gilbey.

However, Rocks took a deserved lead four minutes before the break thanks to Nasha’s long range drive finding the back of the net.

Having grabbed the first goal himself, Foxley then provided the home side’s third goal of the afternoon.

The winger’s cross found an unmarked Merrifield, who nodded beyond Casillas Carro from close range in first half injury time.

Dimitri Froxylias saw an effort turned around the post by East Thurrock goalkeeper Jack Giddens as Haringey went in search of a way back into the Isthmian Premier League contest.

But Rocks extended their lead further soon after the hour mark as Jason Ring’s long throw-in was flicked on by Merrifield and Gilbey was on hand to tap over the goal-line.

Froxylias’ free-kick was then kept out by Giddens and Haringey’s appeals for the ball crossing the goal-line were waved away.

East Thurrock responded with Foxley forcing Casillas Carro to tip his header over the crossbar.

Haringey grabbed their second goal of the afternoon as Onokwai rounded Giddens before slotting home with 10 minutes remaining.

But Rocks had already done enough to secure all three points.