WHILE Bowers & Pitsea claimed a point, Billericay Town, East Thurrock United, Basildon United, Hullbridge Sports and Southend Manor suffered defeats at the weekend.

Bowers were involved in an Isthmian Premier League stalemate with Merstham, with both sides finding the back of the net once.

Rob Small’s side were on the front foot inside 10 minutes, with Callum Leahy heading Tom Stephen’s cross beyond Merstham goalkeeper Matte Pierson.

Max Cornhill and Lewis Manor missed the target with attempts before the visitors were reduced to 10 men.

Luke Ige was given his marching orders just nine minutes after the break following a rash challenge on Bowers midfielder Ben Sartain.

Manor then inadvertently deflected Sartain’s goalbound shot wide, which proved costly.

With 68 minutes on the clock, Merstham went on the break and, although Callum Chafer denied Ellis Brown, Calvin Ekpiteta was on hand to score the rebound.

Cornhill and Stephen were frustrated by Pierson as Bowers failed to claim all three points.

Meanwhile, Billericay lost 3-0 to National League South table-toppers Wealdstone.

With ex-Town boss Dean Brennan in charge of the Stones, the hosts named five former Billericay stars in their starting line-up.

One of those familiar faces, Moses Emmanuel, broke the deadlock with a header on 33 minutes.

Emmanuel then hit the side-netting but Wealdstone doubled their advantage soon after the hour mark as Ross Lafayette - who was also facing his former club - pounced after Alan Julian fumbled a shot.

Lafayette completed his brace to round off the scoring at Grosvenor Vale.

East Thurrock fell further adrift of the Isthmian Premier League play-off places following a 2-1 defeat to Wingate & Finchley.

Darren Foxley gave Rocks a dream start by converting with just four minutes on the clock.

But two goals in the final 11 minutes - from Alphanso Kennedy and Charlie Ruff - allowed Wingate to climb off the foot of the table.

In the Isthmian North, Basildon United went down to a narrow 1-0 loss at the hands of Witham Town thanks to Oliver Bell’s late winner.

The setback came having seen Joe Paxman strike the post with a long range half volley in first half injury time.

And Hullbridge Sports were condemned to a 5-0 reverse by Maldon & Tiptree.

Danny Parish, Charlee Hughes and Ryan Charles' first half goals were followed by Jake Cass and Conor Hubble efforts for the Jammers.

Southend Manor were beaten 2-0 by Ilford in the Essex Senior League.