Tuesday night saw 101 FA Cup games played across the country, all by teams in the seventh tiers and below, reports Leon Imber

There was cup action in Essex, as Bowers & Pitsea fell to a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Hornchurch. Ellis Brown scored twice while Charlie Stimson was also on target to send Rob Small’s side out in the first qualifying round of the competition.

Meanwhile, Canvey Island travelled to Norfolk in a contest against Dereham Town which saw the Gulls come away with an encouraging 2-0 victory.

Dereham were reduced to 10 men on the 28th minute as Elliot Pride was given his marching orders.

Canvey soon capitalised as Connor Hubble and Elliot Ronto both ended up on the scoresheet before half time.

The second half saw significantly less action, but goalkeeper Bobby Mason was called upon in the Canvey goal to save a penalty which, if conceded, could have tipped the balance of the game.

Mark Bentley's side have yet to concede so far this season and it is a defensive record he will be keen to maintain.

Elsewhere, East Thurrock United suffered a 1-0 defeat against Potters Bar Town.

Ben Ward Cochrane scored in the 66th minute, leaving Paul Martin’s side rueing their failure to take advantage during their encouraging first half performance.

Not all matches were played on the evening of the Tuesday, however.

Probably one of the most publicised First Qualifying Round fixtures in the history of English football took place on Monday night as Hashtag United took on Soham Town Rangers.

The game had BBC coverage as it was The Tag’s first venture into FA Cup football, after owner Spencer Owen transformed them from an internet novelty into an established club in the football pyramid.

Declan Rogers was on target in the 35th minute for Soham and they looked to be moving into the next round until Jesse Lassen dispatched an excellent strike from the edge of the box to take the game into penalties, of which Jay Devereux’s Hashtag United emerged victorious scoring four to Soham Town Rangers’ two.